Miss. Aloe's Teaching Philosophy and Goals

Philosophy: 
Education should be equitable, introspective, and applicable to the modern world. Since history is ridden with hypocrisy and injustice, I plan to teach all material with those truths in mind. I was fortunate enough to participate in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program throughout my secondary education, therefore I have a commitment to incorporating international perspectives and service-work experiences into my curriculum. 

Goals: 
I want my students to look at history from a forward perspective, in other words it is my goal that all students will be empathetic when studying the past. In order to learn the most from history we must put ourselves in the position of those we study. Moreover, I want my students to be conscious consumers of information. Students need to identify, evaluate, and critique historical documents, events, and characters in order to successfully learn from the past. Finally, I challenge myself to ensure that all my students receive the absolute best education possible. There are no excuses for mediocre teaching, and while my techniques may be unordinary at times, I hold myself and my students to the highest standards. 

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

ADHD
  • IDEA Definition: "a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that is more frequently displayed and more severe than is typically observed in individuals at a comparable level of development" 
1. Characteristics
  • Impulsivity
  • Hyperactivity
  • Inattention
  • Coexisting conduct/academic problems
2. Demographics
  • 3 to 7% of school-age children are identified with ADHD (between 1.9 and 4.5 million students)
  • approximately 2 to 4% receive stimulant medication
  • fewer than 1% are identified under IDEA as other health impaired 
  • approximately 75% are male 
3. Education and Assessment
  • 53% of those identified with ADHD under IDEA spend most of the day in general ed. classrooms
  • placement settings are similar to those for students with learning disabilities
  • criteria from DSM-IV-TR are used for identification
  • multiple methods are used to document ADHD, including interviews with parents and teachers, rating scales, and observations in multiple settings 
  • functional behavior assessments provide the most useful info. for instructional and behavioral planning 
4. Outcomes
  • approximately 30% have no symptoms of ADHD as adults
  • approximately 25% have conduct disorders that continue as adults
  • approximately 25% develop major depression as adults 
Source: Special Education for Today's Teachers (2008) by Rosenberg, Westling, and McLeskey

No comments:

Post a Comment